Photo of the Plymouth Sound

Culture Shock

After the initial excitement of arriving and starting your course in the UK has ended, it's normal to sometimes feel a little homesick or even a bit lonely. This is true for British students too, so remember, if you do feel like this, you aren't on your own.

Take a look at the UKCISA Guide to Culture Shock to find out more about adjusting to life in the UK. If you need someone to talk to, try chatting to your tutor about how you are feeling. You can also come to the Student Hub at the college to talk to an advisor who will be happy to listen and offer support and suggestions.


We appreciate that there is on-going uncertainty as a result of Brexit. We will endeavour to keep this information as up-to-date as possible. Click here for more information. This information is correct at the time of writing on the basis of current government policy, 3 February 2020.

International Students with DisAbilities

The College welcomes applications from disabled international students and we encourage you to declare your disability and your support needs as soon as possible. Telling us about your disability will not affect your selection as a student, but will enable us to assess your needs and inform you as to what extent we can meet your requirements. Click here to find out more

The Academic Skills staff and resources are available for UK, Erasmus and International students to access all year round. The service provides a broad and dynamic range of offerings, please click below to read more:

Well Being and Health

Counselling, Health and Wellbeing The College offers a variety of free in-house services through the Student Hub to support you during your studies including mentoring, student counselling, health services and referrals, and wellbeing workshops. Appointments with the Student Hub Counsellors are professional and confidential.

Picture of woodland scene with a metal sculpture

Visa Requirements

Plymouth College of Art is recognised as a Sponsor by the UKVI. This means we can issue you a Confirmation of Acceptance to Studies (often referred to as a CAS), which will then allow you to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student Visa. We will issue your CAS following payment in full of your tuition fees.

We strongly recommend that you research how the visa application works well in advance of starting your course and also read about other issues that may affect you such as preparing to come to the UK and Culture Shock.

Language Support

Entry requirements include IELTS qualifications - please click here to view our language requirements.

Working with Open Doors International Language School (ODILS), we can offer a bespoke 10 - 12 week pre-sessional programme where necessary, as well as in-programme support (one hour per week) throughout the duration of your studies, until you have submitted your final contextual studies module (dissertation) in year three (level 6).

You can request more information or ask us a question by contacting us at any time by emailing If you would like to see the range of courses and programmes we offer, you can download our prospectus using the tab to the right or explore the Courses pages of our website

Photo of Norman Buchan

For more information, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website here.